Friday, August 24, 2012

Cheesy Zucchini Rice

This is one of those pinterest recipes that's been floating around. The recipe is originally from Buns In My Oven and I didn't alter it one bit. I thought it was a new and creative way to use zucchini. It's similar to broccoli cheese casserole without any of the "cream of ___" soups. I went into it with mediocre expectations and was impressed with how it turned out! Ross loved it and, had Carson not been sick, I think he would have liked it, too! I'll definitely be making it again soon and I'm wondering how it would turn out with quinoa or brown rice.

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup long-grain white rice
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium or 2 small zucchini, grated (I used my food processor but a cheese grater would work well, too)
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • splash of milk, as needed
Instructions
  1. Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
  2. Add the rice and stir to coat. Toast the rice, stirring often, just until it starts to turn golden.
  3. Pour in the chicken broth, bring to a boil, turn heat to low, and cover.
  4. Cook, covered, for 15 - 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
  5. Remove from the heat and add the butter, grated zucchini, cheddar, and garlic powder. Stir until well incorporated. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
  6. Stir again and add salt and pepper to taste and a splash of milk if you'd like to thin out the texture a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment